• ‘Friends’… your new enemies

by  • August 20, 2008 • Social & Anti • 52 Comments

or how ‘closed’ may become the new ‘open’… (written: Aug. 20th 2008)

I have a friend, who up until recently, was quite a good friend, but then something strange happened. His dark, mischievous sense of humor, which had always been one of the qualities that made him unique and often terribly funny, suddenly discovered a vehicle that offered him something akin to supernatural powers. Like the power to transform himself into anyone he wished, or to be multiple people at the same time. The power to gain the confidence and trust of strangers by morphing into the identity of their trusted friends.

On top of this, he had the power to anonymously wreak social havoc, distress and disorder, only to then be able to disappear like a thief in the night.

How did he obtain these supernatural powers? He signed up with Facebook, and slowly but surely became a Facebook “Troll”. Unfortunately, he is not alone. There are many individuals that exploit the unintended gaps within the fabric of sites like Facebook to impersonate and humiliate people that they don’t know.

One alarming aspect of this phenomenon is that these people are able to conduct this activity only by making quasi-partners of legitimate web-sites and services like Facebook and GMail, which is often used to generate fake email addresses to qualify for additional user accounts on social networking sites.

So, with human nature being what it is, one thing that we can depend on is that the trend will continue and there is very little that can be done about it. This then leads to the conclusion that in many ways the web has reached a point akin to what is known as the ‘tragedy of the commons’… meaning that the common area that became popular has now become too popular. So popular that in fact many of the benefits have been spoiled.

Its clear that many people will regret profoundly, releasing their private pictures and personal details innocently on the web, because once released, often they may never be able to be completely retrieved.

Which brings me to the idea of ‘open’ vs ‘closed’… Is it just me, or does the idea of a closed personal network to exchange information with friends seem so much more appealing than an open one?

I think there is a huge area of opportunity here, to appeal to ‘non-consumers’ of open-networks. These would be networks that people used to conduct genuine conversations with real friends from the real world. They would not necessarily be exclusive of strangers, but rather protective of relationships. New acquaintances could be invited in based on genuine qualification, again, in the real world.

My guess is that this period in the first decade of the 21st Century will be characterized by recollections of how so many people got burned by being ‘too open’.

Post Script note: ~ To all those who might have visited here in relation to the imaginative piece of creative writing on the 27b/6 website, where David Thorne features a series of emails about Pie Graphs. Please note: the so called email conversation between David and myself was totally constructed by David. – Simple fact is:

I am an accomplished designer, and don’t need David to make a pie-graph for me, FFS… LOL

Anyway for the record, I asked Cory Doctorow (See BoingBoing: http://bit.ly/79TseB posted by Cory Doctorow! – who should have known better than to post this rubbish in the first place) to ask David which email address he had used to send these emails to. (because I can get a log from my ISP of all the emails I received on those days) – David’s answer to Cory came in the form of one of his fake emails with an expanded header from a ‘de Masi Jones’ email address. (where we both worked together in 2002/03) In other words, he is claiming that that he had received them from, and sent them to “Simon’s deMasi Jones email address”…  I left de Masi Jones 5 years ago. I resigned from deMasi Jones and went back to University and did a Master’s degree, then started Virtusoft. – My email account at deMasi Jones finished the day I left.

–  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –

addendum:

Mr. David Thorne chose to submit a comment to this article on the 20th of February 2009, at the previous Blogger URL for edgepolitics, but we decided not to publish his comment, at the time, due to its apparent self-incriminatory nature. However, we now publish a screen shot of that stored comment notification, taken today, Sunday 29th November 2009.

david_comment

–  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –  –

Note: an email with photos, from D.T. entitled: “real life trolling and the black eye consequences” is not included.

This has been a Post Script to the ‘Friends, Your new Enemies’ article.

We will now return to normal programming.

52 Responses to ‘Friends’… your new enemies

1. November 28, 2009 at 11:29 pm

Darling, you simply need to get over this nonsense and get on with your life. Otherwise, it will consume you (as it seems to be doing already) and affect you quite negatively.

Give it all a good laugh and get on with things already.

Trust me, I know whereof I speak.

2. admin
      November 29, 2009 at 2:40 am

Cindy,

and who will be next on David’s list… and when he ends up in Jail, or somebody does something to him, what would I say to his son? When my son is bullied in the playground, what should I tell him?

Do you know David? Do you care for him like we do?

Simon

3. admin
      November 29, 2009 at 3:56 am

We don’t intend to publish comments that will have the effect of inflaming this situation, nor will we publish anonymous abusive comments from people who are not willing to clearly and verifiably identify themselves. Nor will this site become a forum to argue about the veracity of comments or emails. That may occur at another place and time. We have not identified any person in relation to the above article, they identified themselves. (that comment will be published where it was first made shortly)

4. Michael
      November 29, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Call me cynical but i still see this as a big scam concocted by you and Thorne. Are you disappointed your twitter followers didn’t spike as much as you had hoped/predicted?

I know you won’t publish this. But at least you will read and know that not everyone is duped.

Michael

5. admin
      November 29, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Michael,

I am very glad you aired your scepticism publicly, thankyou. I can totally understand your cynicism, but if you are actually curious, I would just ask you to be patient, because the smoke will clear soon enough and the mundane unsanitised truth will (hopefully) be plain for all to see. I can assure you that I would much rather that this was all simply a sleep-induced nightmare, and not a PR and personal nightmare.

The whole story has energised and played on numerous stereotypes and people have jumped to all sorts of conclusions, and it has been truly shocking to me on numerous levels. So, let me state for the record, what has happened in a nut-shell.

Two friends had a falling out, (there have been tensions and squabbles, but it finally reached shut-down point). Then out of the blue, one decides to try to destroy the other’s reputation by making up a fantasy email conversation, and also directly attacking the other’s professional record. The fantasy email conversation is carefully designed to energise the resentment of a large number of people, so that the exchange will have maximum impact, and satirical punch. It worked.

Since then I have been in damage control mode.

(if you think this is still a ruse, then be patient, because it most definitely is not, and a great big light is going to shine right down to illuminate exactly what has happened)

6. Tim
      November 30, 2009 at 5:45 am

After I read the email exchange (real or not, for the sake of my argument it doesn’t matter because I wouldn’t be able to know for sure either way) I smiled because these kind of interactions with clients are not uncommon for me as a designer. That was it.
      Point is, the whole thing could have been over at the end of the day if you had just ignored it.
      In fact, I think right now you are the only one who still cares.

7. admin
      November 30, 2009 at 6:57 am

Yes, your so right Tim. We sit at our PC’s and laptops and explore the digital-human world as if its not the real world, where normal human sensitivities apply. Perhaps we’ve all been longing for freedom… from being human, freedom from fraternity and freedom from being neighborly. Oh the exquisite freedom of being able to say whatever we like, without a care.

8. Annie
      November 30, 2009 at 9:55 am

I work in the design industry and David is my new hero. Seriously, just pay the man what he’s owed and this would have never happened. I’m sure you pay your grocer, dentist, credit card company. It’s the same thing! It’s completely insulting and disrespectful for you to decide what kind of work ‘deserves’ compensation and what does not.

You don’t need to publish this comment. I just wanted to let you know that you deserve what you got and I’m really, really glad there are people out there who expose behavior like yours. I hope it serves its purpose and makes others think about their actions before pulling the same crap you did.

9. November 30, 2009 at 10:04 am

It appears both of you are in dire need of a seperation. From the exchange here, there, from what i can gather, both of the parties in question need some serious time spent apart. Unfortunately the internet doesnt allow for such things to take place, given the hype, and the traffic, its hard not to allow this to be blown out of proportion. You still can say whatever you want without care. However to be without humor, thats what tears at you. Laugh a little and spend some time away from the light box.

10. admin
      November 30, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Nick for your wise counsel… ok, I’ll try and hold myself back from popping around to his house for icecreams and coffee (as I have done often with my kids) …and now that you mention it, perhaps a little humour and satire flowing in the other direction might not be a bad idea. ;)

11. admin
      November 30, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I’m laughing. Annie, yes David is a model citizen, and that bad bad Simon has done him a terrible wrong… and the moon is made of green cheese, and fairies live at the bottom of my garden.

12. Kevin
      November 30, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I attxmptxd to rxad your post at lxast fivx timxs but xach attxmpt rxsultxd in a suddxn onsxt of narcolxpsy causing my hxad to crash violxntly into thx kxyboard disabling a vxry important kxy. I’m holding you pxrsonally liablx for this damagx and billing you for this kxyboard that you’rx vxry boring post, has causxd.

If this blog post had only containxd somx sort of apologix for non-paymxnt of sxrvicxs rxndxrxd, I’d think wx could havx avoidxd this unfortunatx kxyboard catastrophix.

To what addrxss may I sxnd this bill?

13. admin
      November 30, 2009 at 2:44 pm

that is funny… very good.

14. Mathew
      December 3, 2009 at 3:51 am

@Annie, does the fact that David works in the same industry as you automatically mean that he’s telling the 100% truth? Really? Are youj that simpleminded?

I know about Edelman’s research showing that people trust ‘people like themselves’ more than anyone else, but try to be a bit more balanced.

I worked with Simon long ago. Haven’t seen him in many, many years. I don’t know David at all.

When I read David’s published email exchange, a few things stand out:
      – that’s not the Simon I know. Not even a little bit. Where we worked, he was one of the most valuable people there. And he’s honest. Maybe people change, but I doubt it;
      – if David’s prepared to publish a personal email conversation, on the other hand, then he’s probably prepared to do anything, ethical or otherwise;
      – if David’s prepared to spend the time reformatting an email conversation into his blog, then he’s got too much time on his hands and/or has badly twisted priorities.

Also, we’ve been here before. A few years ago. David seems to have form.

Lastly, Simon, Cindy is 100% right. Pre-web, most people were able to go through life without running across creeps like this one. No longer. There’s only one solution – ignore him and get on with your life.

15. Peter
      December 4, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Simon, I am very happy that you made your side of the story available on the Internet. Ignoring it would have been a mistake, IMHO. I don’t know either of you but I found David’s web site very disturbing on several levels and your explanation of what really happened helped to restore some of my faith in humanity.

The first time I heard about it was the 7-legged spider story. I was shocked how many people thought he was funny and how few thought he was a jerk for wasting someone’s time instead of just paying his bills. That’s right, Annie, if you are still reading this please go back to David’s web site and read the “Overdue Account” story to see how your hero handles *his* bills.

For David’s sake I hope the other stories are also made up. That would just make him an average jerk with lots of time on his hand instead of a psychopath with creativity.

16. December 4, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Peter, actually, its the ‘making up’ of supposedly real conversations, that takes his humor into the realms of vexatious abuse, fraud and criminal impersonation, that is more chilling and disturbing than the harrassing of a hapless accounts person. The latter makes him a jerk, the former makes him quite something else.

17. Not a douchbag
      December 4, 2009 at 4:38 pm

[EDITORS NOTE: – We’ll let this comment through, as it does not contain obscenities, and actually serves to add clarity to the general picture, although it was made anonymously]

“Yes, your so right Tim. ” ==> you’re so right, Tim.

and you’re such a douchebag, Simon. no matter what happened.

18. James
      December 6, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Where do we see Simon’s side of the story online? I am interested to read it.

19. Clint
      December 6, 2009 at 9:46 pm

I, too, found david’s emails chilling, disturbing and vexatious. His sense of ‘humour’ certainly doesnt align itself with mine. I went to his website to see if all of his material was like that and after reading through it all I can say with authority that it is. If you find faeces, penises and retards funny, then you will probably like davids site. If you have a soul, morals or qualms, you wont bother going there.

20. TJ
      December 7, 2009 at 1:07 pm

So is the email exchange a completely concocted story, or is there a seed of truth in it? Because regardless of the psycho-babble about human interactions online, and the lack of brain to mouth (or brain to hand) filter, which resulted in the IMO quite entertaining exchange, it seems a simple truth is being ignored or avoided.

Did Simon, or did Simon not, request work from David and then not pay him for it despite using it?

Regardless of the success of a project, what David was providing is a service. You dont buy a horse and race it, and then when it doesn’t win refuse to pay for the horse. It seems like ‘Simon’ took a gamble on his project, using other people to fuel it (the aforementioned ‘David’ or graphic artist) without explaining the risk.

So answer me this, did Simon or did Simon not request work, with the agreement of payment, neglecting to mention payment was only on success of said project?

And that’s a ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ answer, without any fancy wording around it.

Because if the answer is YES, he did promise payment for the design services, and accepted said design (the moment it was used in any fashion, that’s ‘use’ and therefore acceptence), it doesn’t matter what kind of person David is, or how he treats people. If he wasn’t paid for the work he provided, then Simon is in the wrong and should pay up.

21. December 7, 2009 at 2:45 pm

No of course I did not request work from David and not pay him. I don’t do that. As I have previously explained the last time David Thorne did a logo for me was in 2005. We have been friends for years and discussed different ideas at different times, but David has not done any design work for me in the last few years, and I did not ask him to do logos and or pie-charts via an email conversation in late November this year. We did exchange emails earlier in November, after he informed me that he had left his long time employment at de Masi Jones, where I had worked with him in 2002/2003. David stayed for five more years at de Masi Jones after I left, and he hated it, as is quite evident from the way he characterises the other staff in that business. I briefed David on what I have been doing, explained that we are working on a web project totally in the Chinese language. I got some very odd (and I thought offensive) email responses from him, (many similar and worse situations like this before) …so I asked him not to contact me. Then a week or so later: ‘BOOM’. That’s what happened.

22. December 7, 2009 at 3:50 pm

It seems like you don’t understand Facebook very well. You could easily use it in the manner you describe. Same for e-mail, for that matter. Just verify in real life what each person’s e-mail account is, and only read and respond to those. Many e-mail programs have whitelists for just that purpose. But you have to first be humorless to go to that much trouble. The odd troll who comes along can instead be ignored, because attention is their food.

23. Clint
      December 7, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Bill I just want to say that you come across as quite condescending when you say ‘you dont understand facebook very well’ and it really undermines your position on the topic. Everyone understands facebook – its not a rocket scientist.
      Also troll food is billy goats, oxen, and whoever wanders over their bridge – they also drink the tears of small children. I think you missed the point.

24. James
      December 7, 2009 at 7:18 pm

… so where do we see simon’s side of the story online??

25. December 7, 2009 at 8:27 pm

There’s the condensed version above, and there are people who know and can substantiate that this was a hoax, for them to come forward would be the best thing to occur now. Eventually, we may have to try and oblige them to do so. – Reflect on where the burden of proof ‘should’ rest.

NOTE: If David would provide the headers to the supposedly ‘real’ emails (that he sent to me), then this would be proven to be a hoax. ~ I cannot provide them, because they simply don’t exist.

26. James
      December 7, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I think your comments about David’s “issues” etc would only be amusing him more to be honest… if you know him as well as you say then you would surely agree?

27. December 7, 2009 at 9:38 pm

You would have to ask him… but I suggest to just stick to the facts, rather than speculate about who may or may not be amused. Things will become clearer if/when he produces the email headers, of his ‘sent’ emails to me… showing the email address/domain he claims to have sent them to.

28. James
      December 7, 2009 at 9:51 pm

exactly. whoever may, or may not, be speculating as to who may, or may not be amused, may, or may not be wasting their own time as well as mine. i agree that things will become clearer if/when David does/does not stick to the facts.

29. December 7, 2009 at 10:10 pm

ha ha… ok yep, got the message.

30. Rob
      December 10, 2009 at 6:50 am

Honestly, several people have already pointed this out, but you *can* alter your private filters to completely secure your Facebook account from anyone but close friends. You can take yourself off of any searches too if you so wish.

There has been a boom of social networking sites lately, and the only ones succeed target a demographic (Bebo for kids, Myspace for musos, Facebook and twitter for the ‘average’ users). You won’t change that, although to my knowledge the older members of the community have yet to be wooed – mainly because Friends Reunited was tat.

But yes: you won’t find money in a world that offers similar services for free. Watch Rupert Murdoch in the next year for confirmation of this.

31. December 10, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Rob, I can lock my house too, bolt all the windows, put up a security fence and give all my friends a smartcard for access… but, a) my freedoms would have therefore been impinged and b) the problem just moves to the house across the road.

Re: Rupert Murdoch, not quite sure what you are referring to. ‘Free’ is definitely the backbone of commercial plays on the web now. Murdoch has been a) lecturing the Chinese on the sanctity of Big Media’s market power in the name of: “…opening the door to media competition and ensuring that intellectual property is protected” but it hasn’t been working, http://bit.ly/6ZhfnT and b) on the back of his “$3.4bn (£2bn) net loss for the financial year to June” his plan to charge for news content seems like a quixotic move and a bizarre gamble, when the trend toward ‘Free’ in a variety of colours and flavours, is undeniable – http://bit.ly/msXhb – Lastly, exactly how Murdoch’s plans and strategies relate to security in Social Media is unclear.

32. Anon
      December 18, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Don’t publish this comment. I’m not on either side of this dispute but I’m just writing this because i feel bad for you. I came across an e-mail conversation between you and David and I’m not sure if its real or not, but either way that brings me to my point. The internet is obviously for the younger generation and by keeping this blog up you’re just making it worse for yourself. David is getting the popularity vote here because his story is a much better read than yours.

33. December 18, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Dear Anon,

I’m sorry, but I feel its necessary to publish your comment… There is nothing in your comment that damages you, you are ‘anon’ after all.

I completely reject the notion that “The internet is obviously for the younger generation”… The web or internet is for everyone, and it in fact only ceases to be for any particular demographic if that group no longer takes part in it. Also, if we accept an image of the web where ‘being a much better story’ is more important than ‘the truth’ and other human values, then that will just be a slippery slope toward a continued lack of meaningful values and authenticity on the web. ~ This situation has highlighted many issues for me, one of the major one’s being the Blogosphere’s lack of accountability, and that is a real concern for the ongoing development of citizen journalism compared to traditional journalism and centralized media.

If many people find his humour very funny I have no problem with that. I would just point out that, David’s friends and the people who have known him personally through the years, and have supported him through his ups and downs, are quite dismayed at finding themselves used as targets of his vitriolic games. ~ When those games depend on a complete fabrication of a ‘supposedly’ real email conversation then it has become an even stranger and darker game than could ever have been imagined.

34. Human Being
      April 21, 2010 at 2:44 am

Whether this is published, it is your choice. However, I would like you to know these few facts:
      1. If David is such a human, then he is, every human is merely another reflection of humanity. If criminals are evil and twisted, then humanity is too, evil and twisted.
      2. Internet is merely another platform for humans, us humans are pitiful, sad animals. A human may only choose to tolerate. Defame, mockery and criticism, they are creations of the human beings. Have you never done such acts? Not wished you have done them? Never laughed or became curious of such? If you have not, then other humans have, learn to tolerate and not react to it.
      3. Life itself is a joke, you took it too seriously. Us with our society and relationships etc are all jokes as well. Laugh it off, you care too much about other people’s opinions.
      你若读的懂中文的话,人类是最可悲的动物,不,应该说生物。

35. April 21, 2010 at 3:17 am

一颗老鼠屎坏了一锅粥 。 防人之心不可无

36. Human Being
      April 22, 2010 at 2:24 am

防的不是人的心,而是人类可悲的想法。这社会就是个人类的反射,任何人都是人类为一个群体的代表。一个人若是个混蛋,我们人类就是混蛋。
      看来你也有可能不懂这个道理,活在一个幻觉里。David所做出来的事只是人类所会有的动作。就如你也一样,你何必再跳出来澄清?

只是我的好奇心而已,但是Virtusoft的计划大概是什么样子?

37. April 22, 2010 at 4:13 am

There are many differences between different humans, (Mr or Ms) “Human Being”. We don’t all have the same sets of values or ethics. Your philosophy seems to negate these important differences between people. ~ 什么是您的利息在Virtusoft ?

38. Human Being
      April 22, 2010 at 11:32 pm

If such of case is applied to humans, then do you believe it too applies to every other organism? If you fail to do so, us humans are no different. We’re anthropocentric organisms, we believe ourselves to be at the top and oppress other organisms. We treat bugs indifferently, dogs, cats, everything that we are not attached to or willing to stand up for, we generalise them, taking out the differences. If so, then does this not apply to humans as well? Unless we truly are anthropocentric organisms.
      我只是对Virtusoft感到兴趣而已,想多了解一点。

39. April 22, 2010 at 11:52 pm

…not sure where this is going, or is relatedness to the article above. But in answer to your question, no I don’t think all organisms have a sense of ‘ethics’ or a value system.

40. Oakfat
      June 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Simon,

I read and sometimes enjoy spoof email exchanges, but when I saw that obviously fantasy exchanges were being published about real people, my thought was “What an excellent way to end up sued for defamation,” although I thought your published response was more proportionate, and admirably restrained.

It’s pretty obvious that ‘David’ will end up hoist with his own petard at some point.

Although I’ve been out of touch since a marathon game of Chinese Checkers way back when, the scenario and responses purported to be by you seemed completely inauthentic to someone who has known your real character.

I can’t really understand what people get from ‘social vandalism’, be it online or IRL. It’s not limited to an age group or any other demographic I can identify.

You are right that trolls will be with us forever, but the internet is too extensive for it to be ruined. It’s a nasty surprise however when someone you know IRL turns on you via electronic means. It’s not that nice face to face either, but it is less sneaky.

I’ve never be able to get excited about social networking services myself. I have joined a subscription forum, where users are accountable at least to the extent that a credit card is required. It seems to work well enough.

NC

41. June 30, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Thanks… I appreciate your comments. Yes, its a very disturbing trend, and in this case has been quite insidious in its effects. However, as you point out, people who know me can recognise the inauthenticity of the fraudulent emails. ~ Thanks for making contact, I think I know who you are.

Simon

42. Oakfat
      June 30, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Admin: “I think I know who you are.”

Quite so. You may contact me or not, as you choose.

43. rasputin
      December 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Simon,

In the comments here you have implored David to release the email headers from the exchange, but you’ve also claimed to have had a genuine email exchange with him shortly before he posted the exchange you’re claiming is fabricated. I think it’s only fair that you set the example and post your exchange and headers.

44. December 28, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Yes, I could do that… and at this time of the year, I might find the time to write about that whole episode more fully. However, what I would be doing would be trying to shed light on the facts of the matter, whereas to David, this is all just a game. He willingly creates numerous ‘sock-puppets’ (fake personas) to extend and reinforce his fabrications, and this is something that I don’t do and also would be pointless to try to compete with. I can simply say what happend and provide the real emails, and may do this, just to try and provide some clarity to an issue that obviously won’t go away. – Incidentally, the previous commenter identifies him/herself as “Rasputin” with an email ID being iamsancho@…. ~ NOTE: There are those who only use their real names in web forums, and those who seem to think its fine to obfuscate their true identities.
      What about operating on a level playing field?

45. charles
      March 14, 2011 at 2:20 pm

what happens when you realize you faked most of your life? like some of the sympathetic comments etc? frankly, we’re all laughing at you

46. March 14, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I’ve published that last comment, just to indicate this sort of nonsense is still going on. – I have never faked “sympathetic comments”, and simply note that commenters like the previous person, never use a verifyable personal identity, but rather tend to use anonymity as a shield for making abusive personal attacks.

47. Sid Vicious
      March 24, 2011 at 4:29 am

Since David doesn’t allow commentary on his website…..

This all would have been avoided had David simply asked for an hourly fee for the logo. That didn’t happen because David is now in the business of documenting himself being an asshole to whomever he comes in contact with. Understandable. It’s fun, and if you do it well then you can make a buck. Ask any insult comedian.

Unfortunately for you Simon you don’t really have a lot of options here save for:
      1- Ignoring all of this and concentrating your efforts on actually making that 40 mil.
      2- Videoing yourself bitch slapping David until he cries and then posting that video on youtube under the title “Internet troll gets bitch slapped with big blue pie chart” or some such sensational headline. Who knows? You might be able to get one of the current affairs programs to take your side and run with it. Play those cards right and you will probably find quite a large market for people who want to see people like David being beaten.
      Don’t worry about the legal part either. It’s Australia. Just say you were on the piss and you should be golden.

48. March 24, 2011 at 5:08 am

Ignoring is the only option… but by the way, the entire set of emails were completely fake… I have never requested a ‘pie-graph’ graphic, and last paid David for graphic design work in 2005, and haven’t received nor asked for any from him since. – David is a hater, who used to be a friend. I guess you live and learn.

49. Sid Vicious
      March 24, 2011 at 4:17 pm

David a hater? I disagree. David is an artist, and artists who are still struggling for recognition/money/girlfriends are generally desperate and anti-social. You would be hard pressed to find a type of person that is more willing to fuck over their friends to advance their career than the artist. OK, maybe investment bankers are worse…..

And he has good reason to exploit his friendships. Like most digitally creative fields, the graphic design business has hit the skids for old schoolers like David who now have to compete not only with even more desperate people from India over the internet, but the kid next door who has a laptop, templates and all the pirated software. It’s gotta hurt when your 15 years experience is constantly undercut by some 20 year old with nothing but a great attitude and some slightly modified templates.

I would also add that if you are looking for web/graphic design in the future then head over to 99 designs to get those kids competing for your favors, or check out one of the many overseas internet connection sites. Sure, the work will be average but then it’s not like Adelaide is some hotbed of graphic design talent either. You could reasonably expect to get Davids level of design talent for 1/8th the price.

50. March 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm

There are many kinds of “Artist” then, aren’t there?